The Deacons of the Presbyterian Church at Bound Brook are officers called to a continually improving ministry of caring by providing opportunities for the congregation and community to be involved in the life and mission of the church. Following examples of Christ, we demonstrate God’s love in practical ways such as welcoming the friendless, assisting the needy and caring for the suffering.
The role of Deacons, as set forth in Scripture, is one of sympathy, witness, & service after the example of Jesus Christ. Persons of spiritual character, honest repute, of exemplary lives, brotherly & sisterly love, warm sympathies, and sound judgment are chosen for this office.
It is the duty of the Deacons, first of all, to minister to those who are in need, to the sick, to the friendless and to anyone who may be in distress both within and beyond the community of faith. They shall assume such other duties as may be delegated to them from time to time by the session, such as leading the people in worship through prayers of intercession, reading the Scriptures, presenting the gifts of the people, and assisting with the Lord’s Supper.
Specifically to the Board of Deacons at the Presbyterian Church at Bound Brook, we are responsible for the following:
1.Attend monthly meeting on the third Tuesday of every month (except July and August) at 7:30pm.
2.Carry out our Mission by helping to do the following:
◦ Serve communion
◦ Deliver the flowers from worship to those in need
◦ Tape the service each week
◦ Deliver tapes of the service to those not able to attend
◦ Sponsor the Strawberry Festival
◦ Find rides to worship for those needing rides
◦ Visit homebound members of the congregation
◦ Support local mission such as blood drives or the food bank
◦ Participate in hosting duties for FISH Hospitality